As part of the Upward Bound program at Missouri Southern State University, the high school students participate in a six-week College Simulation Experience (CSE). The CSE is designed to help Upward Bound students prepare for the realities of college life. Students take classes, live in the MSSU residence halls, and participate in activities — just like real college students!
* The move-in will take place from 3 p.m. – 5 p.m. this Sunday, June 2 at McCormick Hall on the MSSU campus.
Upward Bound is a program funded through the U.S. Department of Education that works with high school students to help prepare them for post-secondary education. The Upward Bound program at MSSU serves 60 students from six area school districts: Carl Junction, Carthage, East Newton, Joplin and Webb City High Schools.
The first five weeks of the summer program are spent on campus. During the summer CSE, students take high school level curriculum classes, covering all types of subjects. Each student takes five core subjects – English, math, science, social studies and a foreign language.
Students also choose elective classes covering all disciplines. Past elective classes have included Murder 101, One Act Plays, Mythology and Beginning Sign Language.
The last week of the CSE will feature a week of travel to a metropolitan area. Past groups have traveled to cites including Chicago, Boston, Denver, Houston, and Memphis.
To qualify for the program, students must meet the following guidelines:
- Must be a current freshman, sophomore or junior.
- Attend Carl Junction, Carthage, East Newton, Joplin or Webb City High School
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident.
- Be a potential first-generation college student (cannot reside with a parent that has completed a bachelor’s degree) and/or satisfy income guidelines.
- Must be able to attend the six-week summer College Simulation Experience.
- Must be committed to academic excellence.
The services provided to participants in Upward Bound are free! In fact, students involved in the program can earn money for participating! Each month during the school year, students can earn up to $40 and up to $60. during the summer. Upward Bound will also pay for college admissions and ACT test registration fees for their students.
For information, contact Upward Bound Director Robin Hicklin at (417) 625-9880 or email Hicklinfirstname.lastname@example.org