Warren Buffet once said, “Do not save what is left after spending, but spend what is left after saving.” Easier said than done, right?
Knowing you need to save for your future is common knowledge, yet so many of us are either saving too little or not at all; and many of us are doing so because we just aren’t sure what to save or how to make sound investments. If you are one of the countless Americans who are falling behind in your personal investment duties, don’t worry… there is help available!
HR Training has partnered with Cigna’s Employee Assistance Program and VALIC, a leader in administering tax-favored retirement programs, to address these and other investment and retirement-minded questions. In fact, all Southern employees are invited to a full day devoted to personal investing!
On Tuesday, March 14 multiple group session as well as one-on-one meetings will be offered to University personnel. Scheduled events include:
- Cash Management, Investing & Financial Security for Retirement, offered at 11 a.m. in BSC 343, will focus on how to manage investments and cash assets to ensure financial security today and into the future.
- Retirement Planning Process: Before, During & After, scheduled for 12:30 p.m. in BSC 343, will highlight the retirement process and educate attendees on how to get started, what to do while saving for retirement, and the necessary steps to take after their working years are over.
- Long Term Care Planning, held at 2 p.m. in BSC 343, will offer the ins and outs of long-term care (LTC) planning including what LTC is, how and when it is effective, and what actions need to be taken to plan for future care.
- Investing: A Beginner’s Guide, scheduled at 2 p.m. in BSC 356, will focus on helping attendees understand the basics of investing so they can confidently contribute to an employer-sponsored retirement plan or take steps to invest hard-earned savings to fund long-term goals.
- One-on-one meetings with VALIC representative Matt Ticknor, will be offered from 9 to 11 a.m. and 3 to 5 p.m., with the average meeting lasting 45 minutes.
If you’re interested in signing up for one of the above personal investment sessions or would like to schedule a one-on-one meeting with Matt to discuss specific retirement questions, contact HRtraining@mssu.edu. All session attendees and those who meet with Matt one-on-one will be entered into a drawing to win a free Fitbit Flex courtesy of Human Resources!
To see what other trainings are available or to access online tutorials, tips and tricks, visit the HR Training SharePoint site at https://intranet.mssu.edu/sites/HRTraining/SitePages/Home.aspx.