Blaine Hall is currently one of Missouri Southern’s Residence Halls.  However, the first Blaine Hall was dedicated on Nov. 1, 1946 and dedicated to the popular Dean Harry E. Blaine who was to retire that spring. Located immediately south of Joplin Junior College in downtown Joplin, the main floor featured a cafeteria — the college’s first–while a student lounge, the Lion’s Den–borrowing a name earlier used by a nearby lunch counter–occupied the basement.