The MSSU Earth Day Sustainability Conference 2017 will be held Tuesday, April 18, in Billingsly Student Center’s Connor Ballroom.
A variety of speakers offering educational topics and environmental issues will be offered.
- 8:30 a.m. – The Greening Effect of Tribal Remediation at the Tar Creek Superfund Site
- 9 a.m. – Joplin Recycling Center
- 9:30 a.m. – CMC Metals Recycling
- 10 a.m. – Missouri American Water
- 10:30 a.m. – How Empire District Electric is Embracing Environmental Stewardship
- 11 a.m. – Building Environmentally Sustainable Business Practices (Leggett & Platt)
- 11:50 a.m. – The American Solar Challenge in National Parks
A variety of Earth Day-related booths will be set up in the ballroom, offering environmental and health and safety information. A poster/art/product contest featuring work by area middle- and high-school students will also be on display. Nearly $2,500 in refurbished electronics will be awarded as prizes, thanks to a grant by the Region M Solid Waste Management District. Prizes will also be awarded by Leggett & Platt.
The event is sponsored by the Environmental Health & Safety Club at Missouri Southern. The conference is free and open to the public.
Classes are welcome to attend. Contact Dr. Michael Fletcher at Fletcher-M@mssu.edu if you would like to have a sign-up sheet available for students to check in.